About Scott Memorial

image of Scott Memorial Middle School Entrance with cherry blossoms in bloom

History of Scott Memorial Middle School

Scott Memorial High School was dedicated to R Henry Scott, a black educator
for forty-seven years in Wythe County. When the school reopened in 1952,
it served 125 black high school students from Wythe, Grayson, Bland, Pulaski,
and Carroll counties and from the city of Galax.

Wythe County schools were integrated and reorganized during the
1965-66 school year. The school became Wytheville Intermediate School
and housed grades seven and eight from the Wytheville attendance area.
In 1970, after renovation and an addition to the building, the sixth grade was added.

During the 1973-74 school year, grade levels were changed to grades five, six, and seven. During the 1975-76 school year, the name was again changed, this time to
Scott Memorial Elementary School. With the introduction of middle schools to
Wythe County during the 2002-2003 school year, the school became
Scott Memorial Middle School, housing grades six, seven, and eight.

Scott Memorial Middle School has approximately 375 students in grades
six, seven,  and eight. SMMS is accredited by the state of Virginia and the
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.